Friday, May 17, 2013

Peru, Day 0 - Prelude

Sometimes crazy can be good.

Four weeks ago I submitted my resume to New Firm. Within 2 hours of my application, New Firm contacted me, wanting to schedule an interview. Within a week I had a job offer. Two days after they offered, I accepted.

I couldn't formally give notice at Old Firm until I cleared conflicts with New Firm, which New Firm promised would take a week. In the meantime, I thought, hey, wouldn't this be a good time to finally move into the city? We notified our landlord that we would not be renewing our lease and began apartment-hunting in earnest.

And then we discovered that we had tickets to Peru.

Yes, discovered. We had booked tickets to Peru last fall and then had to cancel, but the airline wouldn't refund our tickets. We tried to change the tickets to a future date when we would presumably be able to travel, but after hours of back-and-forth with the airline agent and our credit card company, the airline still couldn't manage to charge our credit card with the change fee. So we thought all was lost. But two weeks ago, the airline texted us to alert us that our flight time had changed. What flight time? The flight time for our flight to Lima, Peru, on May 17, returning May 28.

It was a miracle.

The timing was crazy. I hadn't given notice yet, and how could I give notice and then take vacation? Also, we still hadn't found an apartment, and if we went to Peru we'd barely have two weeks to search for an apartment before our lease was up.

Literally a week before our flight to Peru, conflicts cleared and I was free to give notice. Two days later, we signed a lease to our new apartment. And now we are packing for our flight to Peru -- our first trip together to South America.

Sometimes crazy can be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment