Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Peru, Days 4 and 5 - Paracas

In planning the trip to Peru, my husband's top priority was to visit the Nazca lines. These are massive, shallow designs in the ground, shaped like animals, trees, and other figures, best seen from the air. For example, this monkey:

I'm not fond of small planes - quite terrified, actually - so I didn't want to go. However, I told him that if he wanted to go to a local town and take the flight to see the Nazca lines from there, I'd go with him and just explore the local town while he flew. I let him arrange the travel and hotel, assuming that we'd go to Ica.

We didn't go to Ica. We went to Paracas instead, which is basically a desert town. I was prepared to complain to my husband for dropping me off in the middle of nowhere while he flew over the Nazca lines, but then he introduced me to our hotel.




Well, that shut me up.

We spent our first day at the hotel just drinking pisco sours, enjoying the pool, and walking along the beach.


The next morning, we toured the Ballestas Islands near Paracas by boat. We saw one of the Nazca lines, as well as a lot of wildlife.


I tend to get pretty seasick during boat rides, so towards the end I didn't get to see much and I just huddled in my seat trying not to throw up. But before the tour was over, I watched pelicans dive for fish in the sea, sea lions nuzzle each other, and red crabs climb over the rocks.


It was actually quite peaceful. And sitting in the boat, watching these animals live their lives without interference from us (except for the snapping of photos), I felt so far removed from big city life and hectic work schedules. I need to capture that moment and meditate on it when I go back to work and start thinking that work is all there is to life.


P flew over the Nazca lines in the afternoon, and took a few shots from the plane, which I'll upload later to this post. Most importantly, he survived his small plane flight. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment